Tree climbing is one of those recreational or professional practices that can be so fun until one may forget the risks involved in them. I mean think about it, what will happen if you fall off the tree? What if a branch you’re holding onto breaks off, what if you mistakenly climb a rotten tree and it ends up cracking down on your weight?
All these can lead to unexpected injuries from breaking of limbs, arms, neck to skull injuries, and head tremors. That’s why experts came up with a tree-climbing helmet to protect the climber’s head in case of an accident occurrence.
Helmets are head-shaped gears that are dressed on our heads to help protect from injuries of all sorts that occur in riding, climbing, or sporting events. We have biking helmets, engineering helmets, electrical helmets among many others, but today we are going to discuss how to find the best tree climbing helmets.
Best climbing helmets For Beginners
Beginners climb trees for fun and recreational purposes or while learning how to climb in their journey towards being tree climbing experts. Most of their helmets are tough to endure falls and landing on hard surfaces like stones. Examples include:-
- The Petzl Meteor–the new upgraded Petzl Meteor climbing helmet is the most beautiful and attractively designed helmet of its make that has becomes a must-have helmet for most tree climbers. Being a Certified of the CE for the ski touring helmet, it’s effective and well designed to suit a beginner climber.
|· It weighs 7.9 oz.|
· It comes in small and medium sizes.
· It is CE certified for skiing.
· It’s made with EPS foam for more comfortability.
· It’s well vented for cooling effect for the climber.
· It is cheap and affordable.
· It designed in a streamlined way that’s effective for all types of climbs.
|· It is certified for skiing|
· It’s light and can be carried with ease.
· It’s attractive and beautifully designed.
· It has vents that ensure it cools your head as you climb.
· It’s affordable for most climbers.
· Its EPS makes it durable and convenient.
· It can be adjusted from the back make it easy to use and convenient to adjust.
|· The EPS foam makes it fragile and can easily come off.|
2. Mammut Wall Rider–when simple but efficient is your go-for helmet for tree climbing, the Mammut Wall Rider has got you covered. It’s simply designed and well vented to ensure you stay cool throughout your climbing act.
|· It weighs 6.9 oz.|
· It’s light and beautifully designed.
· It’s made with an EPP with a durable polycarbonate shell.
· It is available in small and medium sizes.
· It is vented for cooling purposes.
· It comes at an affordable cost of less than $200.00
· It has adjustable chinstraps.
· It comes in various colors.
|·It’s well vented and will keep you cool.|
·It has adjustable chinstraps that are easy and efficient to wear,
·It comes in various colors that will suit your taste.
·It’s light and easy to carry around.
· It’s made with EPP with a durable polycarbonate shell.
· It is designed to give full coverage and all-around protection for the climber.
·The straps can be adjusted from the back.
|·Some find it expensive and hard to own.|
·Its adjustment is hard to use.
3. Edelrid Shield II–the Edelrid shield is a beautiful, simple, well-designed sleek helmet that will good with anyone. It is made to have a feminine ponytail friendly make that’s effective for female climbers and it has vents that will keep you cooled down throughout your climbing.
|·It’s cheap and affordable at $100.00|
·It’s made with EPS with a durable polycarbonate shell.
·It weighs 8.7oz.
· It’s well designed to look classy but simple.
·It’s well vented to give a cooling effect.
|· It is durable and long-lasting|
·It’s beautiful and made with a sleek design.
·It is well vented for a fresh cooling climb.
·It has dual straps for your chin that ensure you are fully protected.
· It is affordable for most climbers.
·Its ponytail friendly and favorable for females
|·Weighing almost 9oz the Edelrid can be hard to carry around or heavy.|
4. The Black Diamond Vapor – being the black diamonds premium for a while now, the Vapor is among the trusted helmets for beginners. Light, simply designed and attractively looking, it has caught the eye of many and given them exquisite services of protection.
|· It is lightweight with 6.6oz|
5. The Kedera Climbing Helmet–the Kedera is one climbing helmet that you can buy in several colors to suit your dressing gear for every climb. Simply designed and come in various colors, it is among the best climbing helmets for beginner tree climbers.
Best climbing helmets For intermediate trained climbers
Being an intermediate trained tree climber, you need a convenient helmet, light, and above all, easy to use and put on. Thus you need to be very careful when picking one for your climbing endures. Here are a few choices that will entice you.
- the Petzl Boreo Climbing Helmet–when remarkable features are your thing, this is the ultimate tree climbing helmet for you. It is well designed to suit your desire for personal protection and gives maximum helmet benefits that you may need. The Boreo climbing helmet is one tree climbing protective gear worth owning.
2. The Petzl Sirocco helmet –the Sirocco helmet has proven itself in the world of tree climbing helmets, not only for being effective but affordable and good looking too. It’s durable and made with a traditional shape that’s lovable by most.
3. The Black Diamond Half Dome–as much as the convenience of use matters in a helmet, affordability does too. The Black Diamond is among the most affordable tree climbing helmets in the market today. Made with rear dials, it’s easily adjustable and perfect for the want to be professional tree climber.
4. The MSA 10186483 Climbing helmet –the MSA is an affordable, well designed, and effective best tree climbing helmets used by professional want-to-be climbers. It is simply designed but that does not necessarily mean it does not serve its purpose. It gives maximum protection and is perfect for all-weather climbing.
Best climbing helmets For Arborists
- The Petzl Vertex Best Climbing Helmet PETZL-VERTEXB – the Petzl helmet is among the best tree climbing helmets for arborists because of its professional make and features. It has a perfect CenterFit adjustment that’s good for every head type and additional attachment points for ear defenders plus extremely strong straps.
2. TheEdelrid Ultra-Lite Climbing Helmet–rating among the top three arborist climbing helmets, the Edelrid comes with executive features that will keep you safe throughout your professional tree climbing endeavors.
3. The Edelrid Zodiac Tree Climbing Helmet– the Edelrid Zodiac climbing helmet is rated the best tree climbing helmet by arborists for it is lightweight and the ability not to be cumbersome while climbing in the worst of climates. Above all, it offers comfortability and advanced security that will ensure you’re safe throughout your climbing experience.
4. Tontron Sports Helmet – judging from its name, the Tontron sports helmet is a tree climbing helmet made with arborists and professionals in mind. Perfectly designed to safeguard the climber and with front to back adjustable chinstraps, it is among the best and loved tree climbing helmets of all time.
5. The Petzl Picchu Helmet – when design, colorfulness, and effectiveness is what you’re looking for in a climbing helmet, then the Petzl Picchu Helmet has got you covered. Coming in peach and orange colors, well straps and ponytail friendly, it is perfect for the female tree climber.
Things to consider while choosing a Helmet for Tree Climbing – Buying Guide
The last thing you want to do as a tree climber is to buy a helmet that will be more of an inconvenience than a convenient climbing helper and protector. To avoid all that, here are a few tips on the things to look out for when looking for a tree climbing helmet whether you’re a beginner, intermediate tree climbing learner, or an arborist.
- Weight – tree climbing is an experience that requires you to be lightweight at all costs. Thus choose a climbing helmet that is light and will not wear you out as you climb, no matter the climate nor the location of the tree you are climbing.
- Durability – it is not electronics only that need to be durable, helmets too. Thus go for a tree climbing helmet made from durable materials that wouldn’t keep you going back to the store and buying a new one frequently. This will help you save time and money and assure you of safe and quality service of the helmet
- Headlamp clips– ensure the helmet you are buying has head clips that easy to use and above all simple to remove and put back on. This is to avoid the inconvenience that comes in case of an accident or abrupt removal of the helmet. It is also for your safety. Helmets without clips can be unreliable when it comes to safety.
- Ponytail friendly– not everyone who loves tree climbing has short hair, thus look for a tree climbing helmet that is ponytail friendly that will allow you to hold your hair back and enjoy your climbing experience despite the length of your hair.
- Chinstraps – not everyone knows this, but chinstraps were invented to keep the helmet attached to your head even when falling or not in an upright position. Thus, for safer climbing of trees, go for a helmet that has chin straps and can stay on your head and protect you even through an accidental fall.
- Price– as much climbing helmets are a necessity, don’t go for the expensive ones simply because you think they are safer than their counterparts. No! The price of the helmet doesn’t define its protection abilities. Thus, go for a budget-manageable tree climbing helmet that will protect you without inconveniencing your financial status.
- Protection– yes, that’s right, protection! Look for a helmet that offers all-round protection of your head both sideways and the top part of your skull. This will ensure maximum safety in case of unexpected occurrences or accidents.
- Portability–it’s best to go for a climbing helmet that is cumbersome and heavy to carry around. Thus, it’s best to consider the portability of the helmet before acquiring one!
Conclusively, tree climbing is a fun and energy-giving exercise that will ensure you stay fit, motivated, energized, rejuvenated, and above all healthy at all times. It’s like the jackpot of sporting activities as it gives you wellness benefits both in health and fitness all at once.
However, now that you are aware of the risks involved in it, getting yourself a protector in the form of a good tree climbing helmet will ensure you stay safe, happy, and enjoy your tree climbing exercise free of worries. Nothing feels worse than a fun activity cut short because of an injury. Thus, it is best to stay protected and safeguarded in case of such occurrences. One way to ensure that is by wearing a helmet.
Therefore, maximize your tree climbing experience by getting yourself the best tree climbing helmet and stay safeguarded and worry-free while climbing.